Reforming Campaign Finance & Cleaning Up Corruption
Jared believes that we won’t be able to make progress on the serious issues facing the country unless we first work to get big money out of politics and clean up government corruption. He has made campaign finance reform and anti-corruption efforts a key part of his agenda in Congress. During his first term, he has:
- Supported a constitutional amendment to overturn the disastrous Citizens United decision.
- Walked the talk by refusing to accept donations from Corporate PACs.
- Cosponsored and voted for the most comprehensive election reform and anti-corruption legislation in decades, the For the People Act, which would limit partisan gerrymandering, bolster ethics rules, reduce the influence of private money in politics, and expand voting rights.
Expanding Healthcare Coverage
Few issues touch working Mainers as closely as access to affordable, high quality healthcare coverage. Jared has been a staunch defender of the Affordable Care Act and expanding access so that every American can have health coverage. In his first term in Congress, he has:
- Prioritized lowering prescription drug prices. He helped pass H.R. 3, which would cap out-of-pocket costs for seniors on Medicare, and allow the program to negotiate lower drug prices. He also introduced original legislation, the FLAT Prices Act, which would punish Big Pharma companies when they hurt consumers with skyrocketing drug prices.
- Opposed the Trump Administration’s misguided support of the lawsuit to repeal the Affordable Care Act, which would weaken protections for people with pre-existing conditions.
- Supported numerous bills to expand Medicare coverage, including dental, hearing, and vision care
- Backed a bill to allow states like Maine to take advantage of full federal funding to support Medicaid expansion.
Supporting Maine Seniors
Jared knows that Social Security and Medicare are promises that must be kept. That’s why he strongly supports protecting and strengthening these programs. Jared has:
- Promised to protect Social Security and increase benefits so that no senior retires in poverty.
- Signed onto legislation to repeal the Windfall Elimination Program and Government Pension Offset, poorly-designed calculations that unfairly reduce Maine retirees’ Social Security benefits.
- Fought to lower prescription drug costs for seniors by proposing a cap on out-of-pocket Medicare part D costs and introducing legislation that would punish drug companies for excessive price hikes.
- Signed onto legislation that has become law to extend the Health Coverage Tax Credit which will help retirees in places like Madawaska.
Standing Up for Workers and Good Jobs
Jared is a labor Democrat who believes that our economy does well when workers at all levels are treated with dignity through fair compensation and benefits. He knows that stronger unions lead to a stronger middle-class in America. While in Congress, he has:
- Led a coalition of over 75 House members to push for the passage of the PRO Act, one of the most significant pro-labor bills in a generation.
- Gone to bat for Maine’s heritage industries, including introducing legislation to help grow the logging workforce, protect lobstermen from misguided, unfair regulations, and plan for the future of Maine’s shipbuilding workforce.
- Used his position on the House Small Business Committee to highlight the need to invest in rural infrastructure, including broadband, to help Maine businesses and communities succeed.
- Advocated for the future of Maine’s shipbuilding workforce, using his position on the Armed Services Committee to advocate for jobs at Maine shipyards and pushing the U.S. Navy to conduct a study on the challenges facing the growth of a strong workforce to support our defense industries.
Serving Our Veterans
Having served in Afghanistan and Iraq, Jared knows first-hand some of the challenges members of the military face when they return home. From improving transition services for newly-returned vets to improving VA healthcare for older veterans, Jared has been deeply invested in improving the lives of Maine veterans. As a member of Congress, he has:
- Led an effort to push the VA to establish a permanent unit at Togus to provide long-term beds for mental health and substance abuse treatment.
- Passed an amendment through the House to increase funding for long-term mental health care beds as a part of the annual VA funding bill.
Put a strong emphasis on constituent services to help veterans in need.
- Helped fight to successfully repeal the unfair “Widow’s Tax” that offset pension benefits to military widows.
- Voted for a successful effort to expand VA protections to Blue Water Navy Veterans exposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam.
Protecting Our Environment
Jared knows that Maine’s natural resources are critical to our way of life and economy. He opposes efforts to weaken important environmental protections and has been a strong advocate of maintaining and restoring our national parks system. While in office, he has:
- Backed legislation to keep the United States in the Paris Climate Agreement.
- Supported the Land and Water Conservation Fund, our nation’s most successful program for protecting public lands and parks
- Supported legislation to fully fund the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Championed legislation to address the maintenance backlog at our national parks.